Tuesday, October 20, 2009

the wonders of Facebook

I joined Facebook a few months ago because I wanted to keep in touch with classmates and touch base with old ones. I spent the first two weeks in a Facebook frenzy, adding people left and right, until my activity slowed to a steady trickle. It was kind of unsettling to see how little and how much people had changed. I think this is why I didn't bother keeping in touch with them for so long.

I'll admit, it's fun to see what people are up to nowadays. Tonight, I had extra time to procrastinate and went down my list of friends. I checked an old boyfriend's facebook profile and lo-and-behold, there he was in a suit - getting married. My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe it.

Now, don't get me wrong - I felt nothing. I haven't felt anything for him in years. It just made me feel strange because now another remnant of my childhood has moved onto something so completely out of left field for me. Marriage? A wife? Responsibility? Good god, this coming from the guy who did so many reckless things, just because he could.

I want to congratulate him because I am genuinely happy that he has found someone special in his life. However, I'll just leave it be. We haven't had any contact since I was 20 and we have no reason to keep in touch. I'm just really glad our lives worked out. I wish them all the best.

1 comment:

SWoo said...

I know what you mean. I think b/c it's time to plan my high school 10 year reunion next year, everyone from my past (not like it's a bad "past"...but still...way in the past) has found me on FB lately...still not sure how I feel about it...