Monday, May 4, 2009

Just say "NO!"

Although I have a caffeine addiction that runs from one cup of coffee a day to four during finals, I abstain from energy drinks. I don't want to put more chemicals in my body than I have to.

The energy drink industry commands an enormous amount of revenue. Nowadays, it seems like every celebrity wants a piece of the pie. Even Steven Seagal, the veteran actor. According to his website, he can now add "energy drink formulator" to his long list of formidable talents.

A few months ago, my friend Kelly gave me a few cans of his "Asian Experience" energy drink as a joke, because really, what DOES the "Asian experience" taste like? I'm Chinese and I had no idea.



Apparently, it tastes like apple juice.

Anyway, I stuffed the cans into a corner of my fridge and forgot about them until this morning.

This morning was my first final and I overslept. I woke up 10 minutes before the final was to start and had no time to brew coffee or swing by a coffee shop. So I turned to Steven Seagal and prayed that the Asian Experience would give me an A on my final. I chugged.

My head pounded the whole time I took the test. Even now, hours later, I'm jittery and not feeling too hot. Unbeknownst to me, Steven snuck 60 GRAMS OF SUGAR into that can. Gah!

Lesson learned: stay away from energy drinks. The end.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

you should try some Booty Sweat from the movie Tropic Thunder.

http://www.amazon.com/Booty-Sweat-8-4-Ounce-Pack/dp/B001D3O9SW