Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends

I made a new goal today while I paused to watch a bum. He was placing neat little stacks of toast on a hot Foreman grill. He did this after the sun had set, right out on the harbor, indifferent to the tourists walking past. I was impressed and faintly hungry.

The new goal is to write every day, even if I touch on only mundane and uninspired subjects and thoughts. My novel is languishing in Nowheresville. I know what's wrong with it. The problem is that I adore the quirky situations and odd descriptions but there's no momentum. Let's get moving.

Today's event/thought/realization: sometimes, you can rely on the eager kindness of strangers, even if it is unintentional on their part. I say this because I felt startled and (secretly) comforted by their proffered advice and simple gestures. Now I have direction and a backup plan.

It's such a small, cliched thing to know that we're all in it together. It helps.

No comments: