Monday, August 23, 2010

Keep Calm and Carry On

I did something absolutely terrifying a few days ago. Something that makes my skin crawl and my neck burn and my stomach plummet to my toes.

I went to a local karaoke bar and serenaded a roomful of strangers while stone cold sober.

[Ok, insert laugh here.]

It wasn't the most graceful performance and the song seemed to stretch out a lot longer than usual (a Disney song, which made the whole experience even worse) and my hands transformed into granite blocks as soon as I reached out to grab the mic, but it was the first time I've sang solo in front of more than two people. Afterwards, my face was slick with embarrassment and my hair felt wilted. Somewhere out there, Walt Disney was turning in his grave and stuffing a fresh pair of ear plugs into his head.

Still, I am glad that I did it. I spend so much time observing others and avoiding the spotlight that it's kind of refreshing to change it up.

Although now I am aware that shower acoustics cannot prepare one for singing on a stage.

No comments: